Old August 10th 05, 06:07 AM
BTIZ

On our warm up flight.. at about 3000ft AGL (6000MSL) we lean to max RPM and
note the position.
During tow, we lean to max RPM during the climb... after release we reset
the mixture to the position noted during the warm up flight and leave it
there for descent. Slow stage reductions in RPM during the descent.

I'll agree with another answer, once the power is below 1900RPM (2575
redline), I don't think the mixture will have too much effect. Except not to
be there on a go around.

BT

"Roger Fowler" wrote in message
I recently rode with a towpilot who leaned the engine
aggresively after retarding throttle at the start of
the descent. While he is probably correct that it
slows the rate of cylinder cooling significantly, I
had never seen it done before. Is anyone else using
this procedure?