Old October 4th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Backwash Causes Lift?

BDS wrote:
"Bertie the Bunyip" ...
On 3 Oct, 13:27, "BDS" wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote

Le Chaud Lapin writes:
What is the definition of a stall anyway?
An abrupt loss of lift.
Son, for someone who continually chastises the pilots here for their

lack of
knowledge, you sure can come up with some doozies yourself!

Actually, it's correct, but only because he read it off wickepedia or
something.

Here's my take on it - a stall occurs at the angle of attack where the
coefficient of lift stops increasing with angle of attack and begins to
decrease. It continues to decrease beyond this point as angle of attack is
increased further. It is not necessarily an abrupt change - most lift
versus angle of attack curves that I've seen do not have a drastic (abrupt)
drop beyond the peak.

BDS

This is a good explanation.

--