Old October 13th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default GPS vs ADF

I actually posted this in another aviation newsgroup in which I actively post
all the time but didn't get a reply... I assume because of the crash in
Manhattan got everybody's attention. That being said, I'm still hoping for some
insight from the more recently trained.

==== cut begins ====
I'm still a little confused how I'm expected to legally fly an ILS approach that
uses a NDB as its IAF with a GPS on board instead of an ADF. (For example, the
ILS Runway 2 approach into KUZA (Rock Hill, SC)). The rental aircraft I have
access to these days all come with GPS, which is very nice, but I still want my
ADF for the little airports I sometimes fly into.

Feel free to educate me... I was out of flying for 15 years and the technology
passed me by. The last time I was flying regularly LORAN was just coming to
aircraft, and everybody was flying ILS, NDB, and VOR approaches. I took an IPC
to get my instrument currency up to date but we used the older equipment with
which I was already familiar. I'm comfortable enough setting up a Garmin 430 to
navigate to another airport but that's about the limits of what I can do with
one. Don't have a clue about GPS approaches....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com