Old May 16th 20, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Whitehead

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Kiting is a possibility, therefore it will happen, at however low a frequency, in the future.
The glider pilot(s) are at low risk.
Below 1000ft the tug pilot is at extreme risk. Above 1000ft it is very unpleasant indeed.
The process of tug upset happens very quickly, the time from start to finish (finish being the tug in an unrecoverable position) lasts a few (2 to 3) seconds.
People are imperfect, any system to prevent the outcome must engineer this in.
It is my opinion that only an AUTOMATIC system to dump the glider (a very reliable one, with a reliability similar to a personal emergency 'chute) will reduce this risk to acceptable or near zero.
We now have accelerometers even in phones and cameras, so it is time these were applied to the problem. Airbags in cars' go off' with such input, they don't wait for the driver to fire them.
The key changes to the tug dynamically are a rapid deceleration and a rapid rotation in pitch,to a steep pitch angle.
All these inputs would available to a system to automatically release or cut the rope.
No amount of mirrors, video cameras, better release handles or release units etc will solve this one, though these would provide some mitigation.
(Pete has been gliding in UK for 48 Yrs. The only deaths he has personally witnessed were in two such tug upset accidents)