Old May 18th 20, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On Sun, 17 May 2020 18:40:10 -0700, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

Interesting read. It still leaves open the possibility of using
acceleration and rotation sensors (MEMs) to profile a kiting incident
and cut the rope (as mentioned earlier in this thread). It would be
easy to record those values (at altitude) with a simulated kiting.

I have distinct feeling that simpler (to operate) is better, so wonder if
full up elevator on the tow plane would trigger it, i.e. trigger mounted
just behind a spring loaded stick backstop. The spring should be strong
enough that holding the stick back 'normally', e.g. for taxiing in wind,
would not trigger the guillotine but a "we're all about to die!" yank on
the stick would override the spring.

Disclaimer: I am not a power pilot, let alone a tuggie who's been upset
by a glider, so have no idea whether this might work or is just plain
stoopid.

Then we need a reliable rope cutting device, triggered electrically by
the MEMs circuit. I just did a conceptual exploration of a guillotine
that uses a .22 cal short blank to actuate the blade. I know nothing
about guns or munitions, but I am sure someone here has better
suggestions for a firing mechanism, released by a melting fuse wire.
The firing pin mechanism should be modular and sealed, so replacement is
simple and reliable.

Please see screen shots here. As I said, it is all conceptual, and I am
looking for input/suggestions. Fire away...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8o6sbwho3...wkUoyO9ts-Voa?

dl=0

Looks good, but something similar using a gas cartridge would
be more acceptable in parts of the world where ammo is relatively
difficult to come by. A solution that got worldwide use would be better
than a US-only solution simply because the market would be bigger and
cost less per unit fitted.

FWIW, the guillotine on most winches are rather strong springs that work
on the chisel on anvil principle - and that were developed back in the
day when the standard rope was 4.5mm steel cable.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org