Old May 18th 20, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:12:16 PM UTC-7, Brian wrote:
FLY THE AIRPLANE sounds good on the ground, and is accurate. But seldom mentioned is this might not be that simple.

Losing hat and glasses and anything else loose in the cockpit might make flying it challenging. Trying not to get hit with a canopy that may still be partially be attached could be another issue. Not to mention with one piece canopies you are going to have a lot of wind in your face

Here is a 1st hand account of such an event, Additional info tow rope was a 1/4” hollowbraid rope.

http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-16/nocan.htm

Brian

In the situation you just described, my first reaction would be to release from tow. As an early instructor told me, "don't kill the ****ing tow pilot, because it makes you look like an asshole." That is a direct quote by the way. He made a real impression when he snookered me to look away from the tow plane for a second then he released me (because I lost sight of tow). Some of you might have heard how cheap glider pilots are. Well, I had to buy another tow with that lesson learned. I am sure I can make as big a mistake as the next guy, but my DNA is to not kill the guy doing me a favor.
Confused, Jon