Old May 18th 20, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

After reading all the secondary type release options I think I'm with AS.
Either have a Tost Release or a inverted Schweitzer release that could very quickly be operated electrically from a switch on the yoke or control stick..
These kiting accidents happen very fast.
If the Tow pilot IMHO had a electric switch he could actuate by either a button on a switch to dump the rope this could help.
I would imagine it would be fairly easy to engineer a pulling electric solenoid that is attached to the existing release cable, sister-ed on to it. When the tow pilot decides hes had enough, touch the button or slide his hand to activate a switch and release the rope quickly.
Use the existing system your tug has now, just add to it. This system seems so easy maybe I could even build it in a day. Don't try and cut the rope, just release it, very quickly.
Good idea?
Nick