Old June 2nd 20, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

There is nothing to "push down through" with a low tow takeoff.
I started doing it in the '70's at our field, doing rides with it, training students to do it, field checking other pilots at our field.

Yes, we also teach high tow, boxing the wake, etc.

Yes, I also fly high tow at contests, since that is more common at other fields.

One other thing to keep in mind, low tow allows the tow pilot to use trim during normal towing since a proper glider position put the load just about through the thrustline of the towplane.

I won't go further in this discussion since it has been hashed many times just on RAS let alone at various operations.