Old June 2nd 20, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neal Alders

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

I have 100% confidence my newness to the board, my Big Iron driving job, and my 2 decade break will no doubt raise a fair bit of dander.

Bring it on baby! LOL

There is a time when airline pilots opinions made me roll my eyes too. However, now that I am in the left seat of said 200,000+ pounds and 228+ lives depending on my decision making abilities, I now regret having that reaction. Well... some of it was deserved! LMAO

The American airline industry went 9 years, and 330 MILLION+ domestic flights with ZERO fatalities. Then a woman not wearing her seat belt got sucked out a 737 window after the engine went into Unscheduled Rapid Disassembly mode.

That record wasn't easy to achieve. And it wasn't an "accident". Regulations are written in blood. It is just as much the culture as the regs. I am paid by the minute to fly the way the boss pays me to fly. Even if I don't agree with it. We have an AMAZING safety culture at Spirit Airlines (let the jokes begin). Go arounds are free (for the idiots who cannot manage energy properly)the management has never second guessed any of my safety calls or decisions or any passenger ejections. I love my airline. Our maintenance and training departments are second to none.

As a result of my exposure to this world, I have begun to question *some* of the things I have seen in my 32 years being around this amazing world of flight. I am getting older, hopefully wiser, and maybe if I'm lucky, a little smarter.

Stumbling across this thread hit a tiny nerve, and I felt I couldn't stay silent. If I **** people off, well, these things happen. Won't be the first time. After 20+ years in the skydiving world, I would rather have friends come up to me ****ed off, then tell them I am sorry at their funeral.

Most solutions are insanely simple. Fighting the headwinds of change are not.