View Single Post
Old June 5th 20, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
150flivver
external usenet poster

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On Monday, June 1, 2020 ...

I hesitate to even bring this up, but my club had a ballooning accident last year involving a brand new tow pilot making his first tow and an instructor Glider pilot making his first flight the year. The Glider ballooned on takeoff and the tow pilot toggled him off, immediately............some said “too soon”? I didn’t see it and take no position on the issue, but I did see the broken Sailplane sitting in the sagebrush! Our club has no way to give dual tow pilot instruction . A new tow pilot is really making his “first tow”, with no dual instruction on towing whatsoever!
Food for thought,
JJ

In the States, you don't tow anyone until you've had three actual or simulated tows with a qualified towpilot aboard. Clubs with only Pawnees to tow with use some other aircraft with dual controls to do simulated tows to check out new tug pilots. From the few details you've provided, I'd say your brand new towpilot was well trained to punch off a glider that had ballooned close to the ground. I'll accept some exploration of the tow envelope above 1500' but below that, get out of position enough to make me wonder what's going on and you'll be getting my end of the rope post haste. I'm sick and tired of reading of another glider pilot explaining why he's alive and his towpilot is dead.