Old June 5th 20, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

One final thought: Get rid of all side opening canopies.

Yelling at people about checklists hasn't worked for anyone yet, as far as I can tell.

Once again, the "Ban the (insert selected pet peeve here)" cry is raised. Once again, over statistically insignificant occurrences that result in an accident.

Sure, upsetting a tow plane is serious, and sometimes tragic. But millions of side opening canopies have been successfully latched over decades by millions of pilots. Why is the call for banning something, with no economically feasible method of employing such a ban, so popular with some people? Are you suggesting that ALL Schempp-Hirth gliders, ALL Grobs, ALL Schweizers somehow be thrown away? Or sent back to the factory for an exorbitantly expensive retrofit (that would probably entail recertification by EASA and/or the FAA)?

I grow weary of hearing demands that "SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!"

One guy ****s his pants and we all have to wear diapers.

And the statement that "yelling at people about checklists isn't working for anyone" is especially fatuous. It obviously can't work in EVERY case, but saying it doesn't work at all, when it obviously does in the vast majority of instances is myopic, if not evidence of total blindness.