Old June 3rd 21, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tow plane ideas

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 1:40:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 10:31:42 AM UTC-4, wrote:
FWIW
Parowan Ut tow pilot John Templeton owned a Maule. He didn't like it- he said it was difficult to land.
I took a BFR with him in that aircraft and he wouldn't let me even attempt to land it.
Nick

I have towed in a Pawnee, L-19, C-182 (straight tail) and a 235 HP Maule. All get the job done from a 2,000 ft grass strip. The Maule is NOT difficult to fly or land, and I have quite a few hours in IFR conditions in a 180 HP Maule. In my opinion it is not the best tow plane since it has relatively short wings, and is close coupled in all directions. Performance is more than adequate, but pilot work load is higher than the other tow planes.

The Pawnee (PA-25 235 and 260 HP) is an ideal tow plane. It is EASY to fly and has great performance. Availability and TP training are the biggest issues. The L-19 is my all-time favorite to fly. It is a joy in the air, and we use it to train new TPs. Cost, parts availability and age are the big issues along with limited performance in hot weather (90+ F) from a short grass strip.

Tow aircraft are going to be a real issue in the years to come!

Skip

The tow plane issue is becoming a bigger issue that ever before, cost and availability are the two main factors. Forget the Maule, we tried that back in the seventies, didn't work then and wont work well now. In the 180 hp category the Pawnee and the Super Cub are probably the best options. Moving up in HP the Pawnee and the straight tail 182 are very good tow planes. The Pawnee is becoming harder to find and more expensive to maintain, I think even much more than the 182. The Husky 180 hp is not bad, much like a Super Cub, but doesn't fly as well. The Callair does a good job of towing but they are becoming hard to find as well.
I guess I will keep the Pawnee flying as long as possible, or else the only option would be to buy one of those useless motor gliders. The Purist, Old Bob