Old April 24th 04, 01:51 AM
Flyin'8

On 22 Apr 2004 14:37:33 GMT, wrote:

I heard on the radio this morning that a Marine F-18 went down in So. Cal
last night somewhere near my house. I did not hear strange noises last
night. Hope the crew is ok. They are conducting a search now.

Finally founf a little more info on this...

SAN DIEGO – Marine Corps investigators said Friday that a pilot died
when his fighter jet crashed earlier this week in the California
desert.

No one else was inside the F/A-18 Hornet that crashed Wednesday night,
shortly after takeoff from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, said
Capt. Mike Friel, a Marines spokesman. The jet was headed to Marine
Corps Air Station Yuma in Yuma, Ariz., on a routine training mission.

Campers reported seeing a ball of flames and smoke around 8:30 p.m.
Wednesday, and investigators soon recovered debris near Glamis, about
160 miles east of San Diego, Friel said.

The pilot's name was not released, pending notification of family.

Marine officials say there were two F/A-18 Hornets on the training
mission. Shortly after takeoff, the lead jet lost contact with the
plane that crashed.

The downed plane was part of a squadron based at Naval Air Station
Joint Reserve Base in Fort Worth, Texas.

The Marines are investigating the cause of the crash.