Old January 28th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default GA airports in San Antonio, TX

On Jan 26, 3:18 pm, 150flivver wrote:
Stinson is in the city on the south side. It's a part time Class D
operation. Boerne Stage (5C1) is off I-10 just north of town and is a
typical small GA pilot controlled airfield. Kerrville is quite a ways
NW of San Antonio as is New Braunfels only NE. I'm based at 5C1 and
highly recommend it.

Doesn't Boerne Stage now charge a $15/day ramp & parking fee for
transients? (according to AirNav)
It's been several years since I was last there, haven't been back
there since I got a considerable amount of water in the 100LL I
bought there and was kinda miffed at that, since it delayed my
departure and I was needing to beat the weather that was moving in...
I had to sump my tanks several times after letting it sit for almost
half an hour before I was satisfied I had gotten all the water out.
The guys in the FBO weren't all that friendly either. Maybe things
have changed over the past few years... I dunno, but I haven't been
back to see.

I've never been there, but Bulverde (1T8) is also on the north side of
SA.

Last time I was down there, I used New Braunfels since I have friends
there who loaned me their old pickup for ground transportation, but
landed at Kestrel Airpark (1T7) for the cheap fuel.

Kestrel is a really neat little private airpark, the runway was
rather interesting. I don't know about overnight parking since it's a
private strip, but the folks I met there sure seemed really friendly.

New Braunfels would be a bit of a hassle to use for access to the
greater SA area, if you had to depend on renting a car once you got
there.