Old April 23rd 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Henry J Cobb

Default Boeing Offers Additional F/A-18 Sale to U.S. Navy

Flashnews wrote:
So we could modernize the JFK and make it a conventional assault
aviation ship, take on new F/A-18E/F and G's, and modernize Marine
aviations with the generals digging in their heals - its possible and
may be done in the next administration.
The savings are enormous and we need the cash now and we need to look to
the advanced threats down the road a bit and we need to deal with COIN
which we have put off for 5 years with this intramural sparring - if the
JFK is not sunk like the Oriskany, then there is always a chance and the
Kitty hawk could follow, one per fleet. This also doubles MV-22
production and you can see the vulnerability still exists low to the
ground but the Iraq and Afghan wars have all but ended the helicopter as
a combat attack platform - we need a new platform a cross between the
A-10 and the Apache - a Blitz Fighter as some call it - and guess what -
the simple fact that nothing could directly escort the MV-22 right now
is paramount to the fact that the planning was selectively biased
against doing what is needed for COIN.

Like this?

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2007/0...fleet_070422w/
Among ideas it proposes are converting the aging aircraft carrier
Enterprise into an “afloat forward staging base” for special operations
forces with embarked joint air wings. He also proposed converting four
more Ohio-class ballistic missile submarines into multimission guided
missile subs, for a force of eight SSGNs.

-HJC