Old March 29th 04, 05:57 PM
Aaron Coolidge

In rec.aviation.owning Geoffrey Barnes wrote:
: First off, I'm not directly involved in this situation, but I am trying to
: gain an understanding on how other FBOs and flying clubs deal with something
: like it.
snip
We've heard a lot of how various clubs handle this, let me tell you how
my FBO handles this situation. First, the FBO is a customer-driven, for-profit
organization. They operate about 12 airplanes, 152's, 172's, warriors,
arrows, and a dutchess.
Weather: The FBO dispaches all flights (unlike most clubs), so presumably
the weather is suitable for the flight.
Maintenance: The FBO does routine maintenance, and has a pretty well
maintained fleet.

If the weather turns sour suddenly or the airplane has a maintenance issue,
the renter is expected to not push it; the FBO wants them to leave
("abandon") the airplane at a reasonable airport and the FBO will arrange
for their transportation back to the FBO. The FBO then arranges to recover
the airplane. Sometimes these things are combined: 2 CFI's fly out to
pick up a VFR-only pilot stranded for weather reasons. The renter's
obligation stops when the airplane hobbs stops (unless the FBO deems the
renter "unreasonable", which I have not heard of occurring).
In one case, the airplane & pilot were weathered in for 3 or 4 days
over 800 miles away. The pilot elected to stay with the plane, and the
FBO picked up those expenses (hotel & meals).

I cannot imagine how a corporation could operate any other way, in today's
legal climate. I would think that a lawyer would hold the FBO responsible if
the renter were required to arrange for transporting a mechanical'd or
weathered-in airplane, chose to fly to save $$$, and had an incident/accident.

The FBO is also a customer-driven business enterprise. If the customers
thought they were getting a raw deal they have the option of not being
customers anymore.

--
Aaron Coolidge