View Single Post
Old May 22nd 20, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default KGARS - Kiting Glider Automatic Relase System

I've had two kiting incidents as an aerotow pilot, both above 2000agl, when the glider didn't release as desired. In both cases it felt like a mild aerobatic maneuver: a smooth, uncontrollable pitch down, not alarming to me due to the safe altitude. My attention was so focussed on the pitch-down that I didn't notice any airspeed decrease, although it probably occurred. At that altitude, I was more curious than worried, and decided to delay releasing, and waited to see what happened. The glider released quickly, and I then recovered easily, although I didn't think to note the altitude loss.

From those experiences, I wonder if it might be a good thing for all aerotow pilots to experience this intentionally, at altitude, as part of training, akin to the 200ft 'ptt' practice we do. The practice could be pre-agreed, and take place after the tow pilot did a clearing turn and said (by radio) he was ready. The glider would start an abrupt climb, and the proper procedure would be for the towpilot to release or cut the rope as soon as full back elevator was reached and the pitch down had not stopped. The rope would however be lost, or dropped somewhere by the glider.

It would be best if the towpilot was comfortable with mild aerobatics before trying this. Chris Rollings did not mention any sense of danger in his kiting tests. Such intentional kiting exercises might build up a practical body of knowledge about best recovery methods, and height loss, and would increase the awareness of tow and glider pilots to the danger of low-altitude kiting.