Old August 26th 20, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Bick (DY)

Default Sad news, Lake County glider crash, LAK-17B FES Mini

On Sunday, August 23, 2020 at 9:35:56 AM UTC-6, Dee wrote:
Please be respectful of your posts on this thread. Matt Herron, Jr. is a frequent contributor here on RAS. What a great influence his father (and mother) made on so many people's lives during a turbulent time in the US. To get to know him a bit better, you may want to read his book "The Voyage of Aquarius", which recounts the family's experiences while sailing along West Africa. A more recent book, "Our Big Blue Schoolhouse", is a recollection of the same trip from the perspective of Matt Jr (a 13 yo at the time).

Off-topic: The only confusion about what model glider Matt was flying came from bad information from some RAS bloggers who claimed to be in the know.. Take 2 minutes to get it right. Matt Sr's own posts earlier this year identify the model quite clearly and so does Wikipedia. We can do better guys.

Thanks, Steve. We published two articles by Matt on his mini Lak FES adventures (it is not hard to find info about it - BlanikAmerica imports them and has a web page devoted to the mini including owner inputs). The first on his trip to the factory to fly both the mini Lak and the Lak 17 m self-launchers. He followed that up with an article on getting the mini from the delivery port to the SSA convention in Little Rock. Matt intended a third article on getting the mini FAA certified and flying. That article will be in the October issue of Soaring magazine, describing the lessons he learned in this process. Matt also contributed other articles to Soaring mag, including one on the effects of aging on pilots. His articles are well worth reading. I will miss his correspondence and his ideas.