Old May 14th 05, 07:28 PM
Icebound

"JJS" jschneider@remove socks cebridge.net wrote in message
Ladies and gentlemen,

I've been invited on a Canadian fishing trip and would like to fly myself
and one passenger to Red Lake, Ontario.

If this is "just" a fishing trip, have you considered going into, say,
Kenora CYQK, or Thunder Bay CYQT, and having a local operator fly you out to
your destination??? I have no idea of the relative costs, but it would give
you a view of the area and help you make up your mind whether you want to
fly this area (North of Baudette, and especially north of Kenora) without
some bush-flight training.

....snip...

4. Looking over the charts I ordered, the area between Baudette and Red
Lake appears to be full of swamp, lakes and forest with very, very few
emergency landing sites.

A lot of the small commercial operations and most of the private operation
in the area is probably done on floats. This is not just an area of "very
few emergency landing sites", it is also "very few settlements or
habitation", especially north of Kenora.

....snip...
5. For those of you with meteorological crystal balls... What can I
expect for weather conditions in the vicinity of Red Lake and North of the
border in mid - June. I am familiar with the thunderstorms marching
across the plains this time of year but not so familiar with weather
systems that seem to park themselves for days at a time over one area. Is
there much chance of getting weathered in for more than a day or two?

There is *always* a chance of getting weathered in for more than a day or
two (VFR), as there is *always* a chance of getting perfectly flyable
weather for a week or two. I don't have records of ceilings and visibility,
but I do have rainfall. At Red Lake in 1999, for example, there was about
2/10 inch of rain total, for the whole period June 10 to 21, with 5
consecutive no-rain days. In the same period in 2000, the amount of rain
was over 6 inches, and it did NOT rain on only three days in that period.
Now, I suspect a good deal of that was from thunder-showers... but some of
it may have come from low-ceiling drizzle....I have no way of knowing.

In short, it is too early to tell what you will get, with any degree of
certainty.