View Single Post
Old August 20th 15, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JPMarks
external usenet poster

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

I think that it is unfair to give a bad rap to GFIC's who are not cross country pilots! In my opinion, the primary responsibility of an Instructor is to train and develop a safe, competent pilot. My Instrutors taught me well.. They taught me to fly with precision and most importantly I was taught had to make good decisions. When I started flying, 5 miles miles from the Field might as well have been 50 miles. I was taught how to thermal, land using TLAR. These are skill sets which allowed me to later "get away" from the field. I'll always remember the first time one of my instructors had me thermal at 1500 ft Agl. He said " You need to know what this looks like". We were within one mile of the runway.

I became partners in a 1-26 will still a student, later I moved to another partnership in a Standard Libelle.
It wasn't until I bought my own ship, a LS4, that I began to go cross country. It was my ship. I didn't have to answer to anybody but myself if I damaged the Ship. I have since moved to a ASW 27 with one other Partner.

My home Club is CCSC in southern Ohio. The people who made the difference were the experienced cross country pilots who took me under their wing. They offered encouragement. They have helped me evaluate my skill sets. We discuss weather, set turn points, and talk about the day afterwards. I was taught how to think of the next airport as my new " Home Field". They told me not to worry if I landed out. I knew they would retrieve me.They took me in with open arms. These are the people who have the skills and experience to help Folks to the next level. I have my Gold Badge with one Diamond.

OLC has provided an incentive to me to set goals and review my flights comparing to the Others I flew with that day. Racing isn't the only way.

The answer to our diminishing membership is not resolved by solely developing cross country pilots. An individual needs to make that decision on his own. In fact, cross county pilots, can a discourage individuals by showing "superior attitudes"

It takes a broad range of talents to run a successful Club. Retention might be improved by welcoming and acknowledging all contributions including non cross country Instructors.

BTW, a lot of revenue is generated for Clubs from Folks who just " Fly around the Patch"

Just my Thoughts and Experiece.