Old November 30th 04, 02:44 AM
bryan chaisone

"Jase Vanover" wrote in message ...
Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement.

Good tips Jay, and I'll try to keep them in mind. Training during the week
will be difficult this winter, as it is dark by 4 or 4:30, and I can't get
away from work too often during the day. Everything else makes sense, and
when the days start getting longer next year, I'll have to try to get out in
the evenings as regular as I can.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
have felt silly with the big **** eating grin on my face. I ended up
leaving the airport with a manual, logbook, student record, fuel testing
cup, a reserved spot in groundschool that starts in January, and time
booked for the next three weekends to fly.

Good job, Jase. You'll never regret learning to fly.

Some advice that'll save you some money:

- Treat flight training like a semester of college. Fly Mon/Wed/Fri --
study Tue/Thu. You'll finish up faster, and save yourself money in the
long run.

- Expect delays, but don't accept them. You *will* get bumped by weather
(especially starting flight training in the late fall), and sometimes the
aircraft won't be available. Inevitably there will be times when your CFI
will be out of town.

Get used to it, but don't get used by it. If it happens too often, don't
feel bad or hesitate to complain to the flight school. If that gets you
no where, don't hesitate to switch CFIs.

- Remember, you are the student AND the boss. Be humble in the air,
follow instruction to the letter -- but be assertive with your money.
I've seen too many students let their training drag out forever by just
"going with the flow"...

- Find a mentor. If you know any pilots, latch on to them and suck all
the knowledge from them you can. Ask them all the dumb questions that you
keep forgetting to ask your CFI -- your lessons will make more sense, and
you'll impress your instructor.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

I got lucky during my training years. I worked 12 minutes from the
airport and I was taking two hour luches to fly almost every day.

Bryan