Old August 6th 15, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

To provide more input to the discussion - I was never able to get my flarm to go into stealth mode during the contest. I used the $PFLAC,S,PRIV,1 code in the config file and provided that code to two other pilots who when they inserted the code into their config file, it placed their flarm in stealth mode.

No idea why my flarm ignored the command in the config file. To counteract this, I set my range to 2 km and 300 m so I would in principal have the same parameters as those in stealth.

So before we merrily go down the stealth path, let it be known, there are problems with the implementation.

As to the flying, it does remove the tactical value but, like John, I would prefer a greater range than 2 km. It also seems to me that the "climb rate" is considered the biggest advantage to the leeches.

If stealth is going to be implemented, I would prefer to see stealth mode opened up to a larger range, maybe 5 km and hide the climb rate.

As to the question of whether or not Comp ID's are displayed in stealth mode - I like to see the ID's. It makes the race more fun if you can see who you are ahead of and who you are behind. It brings back memories of the days of assigned tasks!