Old July 22nd 16, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug C

Default Winching - Reverse Auto Tow

On Sunday, November 2, 2003 at 1:49:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Can anyone direct me to Clubs / Web sites using this method of launching -
Interested in finding out more about this method, particularly from clubs
that operate from gravel/dirt strips

Thank you

John Spargo

Bruce: I can give you some quantitative numbers. In 1966-67 I made ~70 car-pulley tows in a 1:26 at Dansville using an asphalt runway that is almost 4000ft in length. The average tow was to 1300ft with some tows to 1500ft when the wind was optimum. For comparison, in 2009 I gave many instruction winch flights in either a Blanik L13 or a ASK21 using the same runway at Dansville. The average tow again was 1300ft and 1500ft when the wind was favourable. Thus under similar circumstances car pulley and winch give essentially the same height. Winch tows can utilize the full length of the airfield whereas car pulley tows are limited to the length of the paved surface because of the damage caused driving on the grass. Also winch tows are less intrusive than car pulley if the airport has mixed power and glider activity.

Doug C