Old November 24th 18, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Pilot certificate required?

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 8:03:43 AM UTC-8, Jim wrote:
I have read many FARs that describe the requirements for obtaining a pilot certificate but I have not found an FAR that states a pilot certificate is required in order to fly an aircraft - without passengers and not for compensation or hire. 14 CFR 61.3 details the requirements for a "required pilot flight crewmember" but I do not see that it states a person may not fly an aircraft unless that person has a pilot certificate.

What am I missing?

I once heard a story about a guy getting ramp checked as he got out of his aircraft. The aircraft had the proper docs, but they asked for his license he said, "don't have one". And that was it, not licensed not subjected to the licensing requirements. I never paid attention to the story as I am properly trained and licensed