Old February 11th 04, 08:35 PM
Eric Greenwell

Bill Daniels wrote:
OK, crank these numbers. Consider my Nimbus 2C (Experimental, so I

could
install a BRS) at 650 Kilos with water (which takes 5 minutes to dump). The
gear strut will give 30mm on impact and the tire will give 50mm more. The
cockpit shell is just fiberglass with no crush structure.

I pop a BRS at 300 meters AGL with the surface wind at 15 knots. What are
my chances? Give BRS weights, 'chute diameters and descent rates.

My understanding is the "whole glider" German rescue systems will lower
the glider nose down at about 40 degrees or so. If it is more level, it
is likely to oscillate wildly so much the descent and impact can't be
controlled. So, the landing gear is irrelevant, but the cockpit
structure is extremely important. The nose must absorb the "landing".

A Nimbus 2 might be a poor candidate for installing a system that won't
be tested, except when you really need it. Your safety might be better
served by selling the Nimbus and buying newer glider with a more crash
tolerant cockpit. At least in the US, crashing while landing (meaning
the last 100' of altitude) still claims more pilots than unsuccessful
bailouts.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA