Old August 15th 18, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default What magic do the JS3 and Ventus 3 have that the ASG-29 Does not?

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 9:07:58 PM UTC-7, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Unless you want to fly on the money bleeding edge in comps, last generation gliders become bargains, with 99% of the performance.
As an example, when I last visited my glider repairer, he had a JS1 he was fitting new winglets to.
The performance gain was .25 of an L/D point at 100kt, at a cost of $7000 aust. Must be the most expensive LD per dollar ever.
Given that manufacturers give gliders to comp pilots for WC as a marketing tool, as shown by Schemp lending Adam Woolley a V3 for the recent Hosin comp.
29s and 27s V2s will be good value buying the near future.
Or you could give up gliding, buy a Stemme and fly a light plane. (:

As usual, you're just blowing smoke, dreaming up numbers off the top of what is left of your head.

Tom