Old December 20th 05, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default UK Gliding schools

Hi Trevor,

I fly at Shenington GC and am delighted to see the

We do indeed offer 'tailored' intensive courses (as
do some other clubs). We provide a 2:1 student/instructor
ratio, and aim to achieve 40 flights per student in
a weeks course (i.e. 8 flights per day average), weather
permitting (see website for more details).

We use 3 x K.13s, plus a Twin Astir for glass conversion
and X/C flying training and an SLMG also available,
plus single seaters... and have a bunkhouse if you
want to stay on site.

Contact details are -

SGC Office Email:

http://www.shenington-gliding.co.uk/index_usual.htm

http://www.shenington-gliding.co.uk/courses.htm

http://www.shenington-gliding.co.uk/

I'm sure you won't be dissapointed if you choose to
come on a course at Shenington.

Hope to see you soon.

At 00:54 19 December 2005, Rec Aviation Soaring wrote:
Not so - we offer intensive courses at Dunstable during
the soaring season.
A particular attraction of these is that they are usually
instructed by John
Jeffries.

Dave

'William Jones' wrote in
message ...
Truly intensive gliding courses don't exist in the
UK. The culture of the
gliding movement as you seem to have guessed results
in huge
inefficiencies
and huge waiting times. The counterbalance is that
it is cheap.

I suggest calling or visiting clubs of your choice
and trying to rent a
two
seater for a week for your sole use with an instructor
and pay him well.
Keep trying and you will get what you deserve.

Good luck.

'Trevor Bailey' wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where I can do an 'intensive' gliding
course in the
UK?
I'm not quite solo, but since changing jobs I cannot
get the time for the
'final push' to solo - the majority of my time in
the air has been during
weekdays, sadly no longer an option.

If I can get an intensive week of flying, I'm sure
I'd be solo at the end

of
it (and so is my instructor....)

I'm based in the south-east. My club isn't open all
week, and the

facility
doesn't really exist for booked sessions - it's a
'turn up and put your

name
on the list' club; I like this, but it means I can
(and have) stand

around
/ run launch point for hours to get a 10 minute flight.

I'd prefer residential, although if the club is close
to home then

obviously
it won't be necessary. I like the club I'm with, so
this would have to be

on
a temporary membership for the duration. I just need
the time in the air
and get the solo badge!

I'm experienced in winch launching in a K-13; any
club that can offer the
same or similar would obviously be the best option.

Any ideas?

Fly Safely,
Have Fun.

Ian.