Old November 5th 19, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL -- RESEARCH

On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 11:00:19 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 11/4/2019 5:23 PM:
2G Your welcome to pay my insurance for next year. The majority of fatal
accidents this past year have involved high performance machines, some with
aux power some without. Not 1-26’s, not 2-33’s, not dusters or cherokees or
phoebus or libelles. But the very fact that I now have to pay thru the nose
for my very low performance machine due to the idiocy of “pilots” with way more
money than aeronautic sense is very graiting!

Is it possible the insurance companies know that, and set the rates accordingly?
And why wouldn't they know that - obviously, they have lots of data on the
situation! And, we know they adjust their rates, based on the pilot's hours,
rating, and - I believe - the kind of glider he flies. If so, you are not paying
more because a high performance glider has an accident. Perhaps you have some
evidence that an accident to a $200,000 motorglider raises the rate on a 1-26?

Mr. Costello has had articles in Soaring and given talks on insurance company
costs. AT times, ground damage has been the major cost, not crashes. Stuff like
trailer accidents, cars hitting gliders, canopies damaged, wings dropped during
assembly, hangar fires (Barstow!), wind damage, etc.

One set of data-
From my shop the last 2 years. Insurance claims only;
1-34- Accident in the pattern. Hit Soccer goal- Not economical to repair
1-26E Land in trees on ridge. Not economical to repair
1-26D- Blew out of tie down. Not economical to repair
Twin Grob- Replace rear canopy- left unlocked
ASW-24- Replace canopy and repair wings- gun shots while in trailer
ASW-20 - Replace canopy- Rock from lawn mower
PIK-20- Replace canopy and repair hinges- owner error on ground
304S Shark. Water landing in marsh after engine non start. Likely out of fuel.

FWIW
UH