Old February 3rd 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Pitot Heat Failure in a Piper

Marco Leon mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote:
: I have a 1978 Warrior II and it looks like the heat element went south. The
: circuit breaker is fine so I believe that's the problem but I'm open to
: suggestions. My A&P is out of town so I'd like to try and get a head start
: by ordering parts if possible. Can anyone recommend a source to get a
: heating element for a Piper pitot tube? Is it recommended to get that
: separately or is a new pitot unit the way to go?

The heating elements - there are 2 in the pitot tube - are supposedly
not repairable. I had one bad heating element a few years ago and a
new heated pitot tube from DMFS was "only" about $250. If the pitot tube
is replaced you are supposed to re-do the transponder/IFR cal as you are
"opening the static system".

--
Aaron C.