Old January 11th 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

Default U.S. FAA Certificate Replacement Problem

Frank,
You da man! I have been suffering through the same problem. I passed
through about an hour of FAA no progress calls on Friday about this
very problem. Thanks so much for posting this so I can get the stupid
web form to work. Thanks!

Bruno - B4

On Jan 10, 9:18*am, Frank wrote:
I recently tried to use the FAA's online procedure for replacing my
paper certificates with the required plastic ones. *I had no trouble
at all with my Ground Instructor and Parachute Rigger tickets, but the
site refused to let me replace my Commercial license, citing error #
214.

After some digging around, I found that the problem was the presence
of the 'Aerotow' launch type next to my glider rating. *Apparently the
FAA no longer includes launch type on the glider rating, and the
automated process wasn't smart enough to simply remove it.

I wound up calling the FAA Airman Certificate Office at (866)
878-2498, waiting interminably until I got to an actual human, who
then immediately removed the rating(s) from my record. *Then I was
able to go through the web process, pay my $2.00 via credit card, and
get my plastic certificate.

Note that if you call the ACB and select menu choice 1 -- 2
("Information regarding replacement of your airman certificate...."),
you will suffer through a long explanation, and then be directed to
the FAA website, without ever having the opportunity to talk to a
human. *You must instead choose 1 -- 1 ("Info concerning date of
issue currently being processed..."), suffer through the interminable
wait, and then tell the human what you want.

TA