Old February 1st 04, 08:57 PM
RobbelothE

Then there's this from President 'wanna be' Wes Clark. He was certain Saddam
had weapons of mass destruction and that Saddam wanted more.

"[Saddam Hussein]…is not only malevolent and violent, but also unpredictable.
He retains his chemical and biological warfare capabilities and is actively
pursuing nuclear capabilities…. Saddam Hussein's current retention of
chemical and biological weapons and their respective delivery systems violates
the UN resolutions themselves, which carry the weight of international law…..
Our President has emphasized the urgency of eliminating these weapons and
weapons programs. I strongly support his efforts to encourage the United
Nations to act on this problem. And in taking this to the United Nations, the
President's clear determination to act if the United Nations can't provides
strong leverage undergirding further diplomatic efforts…. I would offer the
following considerations:
- The United States diplomacy in the United Nations will be further
strengthened if the Congress can adopt a resolution expressing US determination
to act if the United Nations will not. The use of force must remain a US
option under active consideration. The resolution need not at this point
authorize the use of force, but simply agree on the intent to authorize the use
of force, if other measures fail….

If efforts to resolve the problem by using the United Nations fail, either
initially or ultimately, the US should form the broadest possible coalition,
including its NATO allies and the North Atlantic Council if possible, to bring
force to bear."

Statement Of General (Retired) Wesley K. Clark
U.S. Army Before The House Armed Services Committee
United States House Of Representatives
September 26, 2002
Ed
"The French couldn't hate us any
more unless we helped 'em out in another war."
--Will Rogers

(Delete text after dot com for e-mail reply.)