View Single Post
Old April 22nd 18, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default Jonathan Leal's big day! 1000km 126 attempt from Mifflin

Thank you so much!

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 9:07:09 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
Very cool map, Daniel.
I was always concerned about the Sharp Mountain / Second Mountain ridges.
Jonathon, try this link to an incomplete map for the Sierras and a bit into the Great Basin, started by Michael Reid.
Jim

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m....27124&t=p&z=7

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 8:38:06 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Why would you "regret putting the more embarrassing moments..." ? This map is a good tool. Would love to have something like this for the Sierra's and Nephi region.
Jon

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 8:14:11 PM UTC-7, Daniel Sazhin wrote:
On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 10:33:13 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
There is a place marked on map with link to OLC of a ASW-24E that comes within 29 ft of ground while attempting a transition.

There's a reason why that layer is called "Crash Sites/Close Calls"

People make mistakes. My attitude (and that of the safety committee of ACA) is to make sure that folks learn from mistakes and not make them again... and help other folks avoid those errors too.

Ridge flying is risky business and you have to treat it very seriously if you want to do it for a long time and not wreck an airplane (or hurt yourself). That layer exists also to make a point that the consequences are severe if you stop respecting this.

Lastly, I believe that sharing information and stories helps everyone.. I am the one that has compiled a lot of the data on the Ridge Map (and the flight you're referring to). Please don't make me regret putting the more embarrassing moments people had experienced as learning tools for others by calling those pilots out on a public forum...

Best Regards,
Daniel