Old June 29th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Nothing good about Ethanol

"Roger" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:15:29 -0500, Greg Copeland
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 15:43:09 +0000, Aaron Coolidge wrote:

PS, in this widely spread out country purely electric cars are not
useful
until they have the same performance as gasoline cars, particularly in
their recharge time. My gasoline car recharges in 10 minutes and goes
450 miles per charge. Each charge costs $55. It's really pretty cheap,
all things considered.

For what it's worth, they are making huge strides in battery
technology...at least in the lab. They are working on using nanotubes in
capacitors which vastly increase their surface area. The result is a
"battery" which can be charged like a capacitor (means fast charge) and
can survive hundreds of thousand charge cycles. Currently, making them are
painful and costly...but research and technology is heading in the right
direction.

They are also starting to create ICE which create steam from its heat
byproduct, which in turn, turn turbines attached to generators, which can
keep batteries fully charged. This means, in the short term, better
hybrid technology may help out until better battery technologies allow for
a pure (or nearly so) electric solution can be found.

But where will the electrical energy come from? We do not have the
electrical grid capacity to power more than a small fraction of the
cars.

Huh? You're kidding, right? You think we can power all the ACs but not the
battery chargers?