Old March 6th 05, 03:27 AM
Capt.Doug

Default German police pull drunk Delta pilot off Atlanta-bound flight

"n-e-w-s" wrote in message German police stop Delta pilot on alcohol
suspicion

I've taken the liberty of removing the cross-postings.

For those in the educated group which remains, I'd like to point out that
for the airline I'm employed at, since the start of 2004 until the present,
3.7% of our pilot group has been accused of reporting to work while
intoxicated. ALL of the accused have tested negative for alcohol use.

Most of the time, a screener who has no training in recognizing substance
abuse makes an accusation. The allegation must be acted upon. Then the news
teams show up. The accused must take 3 breathalyzers in a 30 minute period.
During the 30 minutes, the news team usually figures out that they don't
have a story and they leave. The screener is not reprimanded so that s/he
isn't intimidated from reporting someone in the future who may actually be
drunk. Neither does the screener receive substance abuse recognition
training which might prevent a false accusation in the future.

It's one of a myriad of headaches that airline professionals endure.

D.