Old March 11th 07, 12:08 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
veritas

Default Another hour logged

I would make a poor instructor because it has been too long since I learned to fly. It is not
because I neglect the basics but rather that I do things without, any longer, being conscious of
it, therefore "why"!

Crash Lander wrote:
Most of the approaches were a bit low too, with 1 being low
enough to give me a bit of a scare. Came in too low, and had to give
almost full power to clear the trees.

I must ask - was the headwind (on final) on the day greater than you had previously experienced?

Wind strength will have an effect on how "close" you should turn base/final thus determining how
"steep" your approach will be. Under these circumstances, a steep approach is not necessarily
an indication that an approach is 'wrong' as it is a function of airspeed (distance through the
air) and not groundspeed (distance over the ground).

The distinction of approach angle in relation to the difference in headwind on final is not
always immediately recognised - it comes with, firstly, recognising the situation and taking the
appropriate action -then- later, experience will kick in and it will become 'automatic'.

--
..
..

READ CAREFULLY. By reading this article, you agree solely, and/or on behalf of your employer, to
release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my
ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of yourself and/or your employer.