Old September 28th 20, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kenn Sebesta

Default Grob Twin Astir getting "stuck" in a slip

@Steve, that's a great description, I'll go try it with the other direction. My natural slip tendency is to bank left because I'm right handed-- it's easier and more accurate for me to push left than pull right.

It happens in lots of gliders, particularly older generation trainers, at least learning in Australia it was part of sideslip approach training. Puchatek's are great for it.

It's also in the flight manual (see page 27)

The side-slip is quite controllable and, if needed,
this manoeuvre can be used for steeper approaches.
It is effective by using a 15 degrees angle of sideslip and should be finished of a safe hight (98 km/h;
54 kts; 61 mph). Rudder effect reversal have not
been observed.
17 th march 1982
FLIGHT MANUAL GROB G 103 27
The temporary control force to overcome the
force reversal or rudder lock is calculated
approximately 5 to 6 daN (rudder pressure).
The aileron does not change its force direction, rather it returns independently from the
full deflected position.
Rudder lock can be relieved without pilot input on the rudder. After moving the aileron
into neutral position, the Sailplane rolls out
of the Slip into wing level position. Thereafter the rudder frees itself from the full
deflected position and the force reversal is
relieved. Using this method to end the Slip
the Sailplane does not adopt unusual flight
attitudes and deviates only slightly from its original flight course.

That's an excellent reference. It certainly describes what I see, but it's not in our POH (http://www.franconiasoaring.org/pdf-...Rev%20 9.pdf). I wonder why not?