Old July 22nd 20, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider Insurance?

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 10:05:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Yeah, that quote was a memory fart.................probably from our ASH-25 with 4 partners on 100K. Hull is normally about 2% of insured value + liability.
I’m Still too cheap to buy hull..........I have bent 3 gliders in 50 years! Only one claim for a broken boom ........insurance paid 4K!
That’s when I said, screw this, I’ll self insure whenever I can.
JJ

My parents never insured their house back in the UK. When I discovered this, I was horrified. But my father said 'how many houses have you seen on fire?' He also told me he and my mother did take the bus to visit the insurance company office (this was before the internet) and when they saw the plush company offices, they understood where their money would go, and walked away.