Old June 13th 09, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob

Default Measuring the effectiveness of a sandblaster?

On Jun 12, 4:30*pm, "Morgans" wrote:

*WoW! *I can't even comprehend a compressor that big!

What is the power source; IC engine, or electric, and do you know how big the
power source is, in either HP or amps? *That would help me try to put it into
size.

Dear Jim,

A modified VW engine makes a pretty good media blaster in the medium-
size range. This is a 96cid engine that is modified so that two
barrels are constantly pumping whilst the other two serve as the power
source (ie, about 15hp). Using a VW bug body as an example, it will
usually take from six to eight hours to strip one of paint, tar, etc.

Tthe really big units are found at dry docks, for treatment of
concrete piers and other heavily encrusted objects.

-R.S.Hoover
-(USN Retired)