Old June 13th 09, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim[_8_]

Default Measuring the effectiveness of a sandblaster?

"Dan" wrote in message
Bob wrote:

A modified VW engine makes a pretty good media blaster in the medium-
size range. This is a 96cid engine that is modified so that two
barrels are constantly pumping whilst the other two serve as the power
source (ie, about 15hp). Using a VW bug body as an example, it will
usually take from six to eight hours to strip one of paint, tar, etc.

Tthe really big units are found at dry docks, for treatment of
concrete piers and other heavily encrusted objects.

-R.S.Hoover
-(USN Retired)

The VW engine idea sounds interesting. Any suggestions where to find
plans? I don't think Id build one, but it should be an interesting read.

I would imagine such Navy machines would be a tad noisy. I have never
had the pleasure of hearing a rivet gun used in building large sea going
vessels. I have the feeling it also would be a bit loud.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

You can do the same with the old 289/302 Ford engines. I rented a jack
hammer from a local rental supply company many years ago, that was a
tankless compressor built on a trailer with nothing more than a 302 Ford
with one stock head, and one compressor head.