Old February 22nd 04, 04:58 PM
Ed Majden

From: "Ed Majden"
To: "Emmanuel.Gustin"
Subject: CF-105 AVRO Arrow etc.
Date: February 22, 2004 8:37 AM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Emmanuel.Gustin"

For a more sensible approach, look at Sweden, which has

similar air defense problems, and has designed several
generations of excellent fighter aircraft by staying with
more modest (but very effective) and flexible designs,
and using imported engines and weapons.

--

Emmanuel:
From Canada's air defence needs, the Arrow was the right aircraft for
the job presented at an unfortunate or wrong time. Canada was in the midst
of a recession and a change of government had just taken place. The new
government was hostile to any programs presented by the old so the project
was cancelled. Also, the beginnings of the space race and the missile
threat had some influence, though a wrong one. Unlike Sweden, the threat
over the vast north of Canada was not the same. We needed an advanced
interceptor to go after the manned bomber threat. A multi purpose fighter
was not required as fighter to fighter dog fights were most unlikely and
ground support to take out invading armies was also not a threat. The Arrow
was in fact replaced by two Bomarc SAM units and the American F-101 Voodoo,
neither of them being multi purpose systems. The cancellation greatly
damaged Canada's role in the aviation industry and it took many years to
recover from this. Another case of short sighted government policy as I see
it!