Old March 23rd 04, 01:49 PM
Ron Parsons

In article ,
"Paul F Austin" wrote:

"Robey Price" wrote
After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, "Paul F
Austin" confessed the following:

My impression from reading the AvWeek reports is that this problem isn't
unique to A300s nor to Airbus products. The fin can be overloaded in most
transports if opposite rudder is commanded while a significant yaw has
occurred. I'm not a pilot but AvWeek claimed that standard recovery

training
for transport pilots could lead to this condition.

You are correct, I fly the 757 and we've recently had some expanded
warning verbiage added to our flight manual about excessive rudder
inputs during an engine failure. Pretty soon after that AA crash we
were cautioned about excessive rudder inputs.

Why is rudder input mandatory during an engine failure vice simply
using ailerons?

Quick example, a United 747-400 lost an engine on takeoff from SFO a
couple years back. The jet was full/heavy, the FO (guy in the right
seat) was making the takeoff. During intial climbout, the FO used full
aileron/yoke to maintain wings level while trying to climb straight
out. The only problem was the drag caused by the deployed spoilers
(for roll) on the side with two good motors. [picture aileron into the
two good engines trying to "lift" the wing with only one motor to turn
into the good side]. This was not the approved solution for
controlling a 747 on takeoff with an engine failure.

As a result the drag severely degraded the climb capability and there
was a ridge line in front of the jet. Two guys sitting in jumpseats
finally had enough of the FO's hamfisted technique and started
insisting he use rudder to control the yaw and not aileron. The FO
listened..."Oh yeah, ****, f*ck me..." and they cleared the rapidly
rising terrain by mere feet.

So that is why rudder input is critical, minimize yaw and drag to
provide climb performance.

And as you alluded to, blind rapid full rudder inputs can simply
over-G the airframe.

The technique we are taught during an engine failure is to climb
straight ahead (airspace and terrain permitting), engine failure
during the takeoff roll are pretty painless if you simply blend in
enough rudder to keep on centerline as you accelerate then shift to
instruments once airborne.

Engine failure during climbout while in a turn can be disorienting
with the greater yawing and rolling tendencies due to higher speeds
and power settings...obviously greater care must be taken by the pilot
flying the jet.

Thanks for the information. I am somewhat amazed that the FAA doesn't
require load analysis of the fin under yaw/extreme opposite rudder but
(again according to AvWeek), it does not.

Political and un-Diplomatic pressure from the foreign states heavily
invested in the sucess of Airbus.

--
Ron