Old October 23rd 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Joe Chisolm

Default Nobody believed that we walked away

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:27:47 -0500, Big John wrote:

Monty

Tnx for the posting. Will give group who reads a feel for the Express.

The pitch down with full rudder deflection during flight test I never ran
into in any airplane I flew in my thousands of hours. Would be kind of
scary if at low altitude where you could not trade altitude to regain air
speed and control.

You could get into that condition in a large angle slip and crash on final
( I didn't see if the new larger tail assy fully cured the blanking
problem.

Big John

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 23:43:44 -0500, "Montblack"
wrote:

("Big John" wrote)
Didn't say in paper. Not enough in pictures for me to make a wild
guess.

Maybe someone else on Group knows and will post? Paper said it was
featured in the 'Contact' Magazine and they should know.

http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue89/Issue_89a.jpg Cover Pictu
CONTACT! (ISSUE 89) Mailed July 19, 2007

http://www.contactmagazine.com/backissu.html CONTACT! (ISSUE 89) Mailed
July 19, 2007 "Chevy Powered Wheeler Express."
Bud Warren of Geared Drives introduces us to his geared redrive, as
proven with his beautifully crafted Wheeler Express. Former CONTACT!
Magazine editor and publisher Mick Myal found this story for us at SnF
2007 and through a collaborative effort with Bud's daughter Phyllis
Ridings-Murawski, they bring us this article.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=901RC&cmndfind.x=0&cmndfind .y=0
N-Number (from the picture)

http://www.ezchair.com/photo.htm
Pics of a different Wheeler Express

http://www.sierratel.com/jerico/Expr...%20Article.pdf VERY GOOD
pdf article

Montblack

From the article: "...a short time after take-off and enroute, he noticed the
oil temp rise slightly and the engine sputtered...Soon, he and his two
passengers were forced to make an emergency landing in a hay field with the
plane ablaze and clipped a fence post rupturing a wing fuel tank."

Let me see if I have this right. Airplane with a highly experimental
engine config has an engine failure and the engine is on fire.
Airplane lands in field and clips a fence and some how it's that bad old
Wheeler's fault.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, TX