Old June 1st 12, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Compare/Contrast: CG hook on aerotow vs. CG hook on winch

On Jun 1, 8:59*am, Mike the Strike wrote:
I'm not sure that the advice to keep hold of the release on tow would be advisable in more turbulent environments (like Arizona) where unexpected glider movement could cause an unintended release.

Mike

I've had the same thought, Mike.

When I take friends up for rides, I tell them to put their hand(s) on
their thigh(s). That way if they make any kind of reactionary grab,
they grip their leg and not an important control. I find that for
myself this technique works in turbulent conditions pretty well - keep
a hand on the thigh, preferrably near the release-handle. As part of
my pre-takeoff checklist, I practice reaching from my thigh to the
release a couple of times; so that I'm prepared in an emergency. Then
I put my hand back on my thigh. (Of course, my DG-300 makes this easy
by having the release-handle at the base of the panel, and I don't
have any flaps to deal with - so your mileage may vary).

--Noel

P.S. Bill - Thanks for the compliments! I appreciate the feedback
and comments that you and others have given on my various recent
postings. I'm still relatively new in the sport (just hit the 5 year
mark), and its nice to be able to pitch all these theories and ideas
and see everyone's different opinions and points of view. Its all
good food for thought.