Old November 29th 03, 01:42 PM
Jay Somerset

On 28 Nov 2003 10:37:39 -0800, (Milo) wrote:

The news mentioned that while AF1 was enroute to Baghdad Int., a
British Airways pilot saw AF1 and asked (on the horn) "is that AF1?".
Then AF1s' pilot responded "No, it's a Gulfstream". At first I
thought that was funny but then after thinking about it, I'm wordering
how true this is. First of all, did that BA pilot have binoculars?
How did he see AF1 with the TFR in place, I assume they are in effect
wherever AF1 goes in the world. ***I just thought of something as I
was typing this, maybe there was no TFR because Pres. Bush "wasn't
onboard" and it wouldn't have offically been AF1, as far as call sign
and ATC goes, at the time.*** Secondly, if none of that is the case,
why would the BA pilot would ask that question over the radio and what
are the chances the 2 aircraft would be on the same freq.? Just
wondering and speculating, not that it matters either way. If this
did happen, the pilot of AF1 has a great way of saying "Shut the hell
up man, this isn't what you think" wink wink. Very funny.

A tall tale. If another aircraft really had eyeballed "AF1" and called up
as stated, the AF1 pilot would have just ignored the call.

Also very unlikely that any other aircraft would be able to get into visual
range -- AF1 would have deviated to maintain greater separation. They do
have better than average radar, you know. :-)