Old September 23rd 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Ground launch payout winch systems...Are they suitable forgliders?

On Sep 22, 11:53*pm, Pete Brown wrote:
Gents:

I have assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that a payout winch *would have an
advantage. If I have 2000 ft of cable on a spool and a 6,000 ft runway,
the car with a payout winch use almost all of the *6,000ft runway length.

Were we to do a regular auto tow, the car *could only use 4,000ft of the
runway to lift the glider. A reverse pulley would also give us the full
6,000 ft but, in our case, we can't use it because of runway management
issues, not aerodynamics.

Pete

Your airport designator?

Frank Whiteley