Old December 5th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Default Spinner strobing as a "Bird Strike Countermeasure"

wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:14 pm, Tina wrote:
Here's an illusion I can't expain at all.

http://amiedotcom.blogspot.com/2005/...hat-i-see.html

been told it has to do with resolving frequencies in space, not time,
but it's way past my number crunchiing skills.

Looks to me more like a detail issue, with the resolution
that diminishes with distance causing the illusion.

Could be. Or the optic nerve does something equivalent to a two-dimensional
Fourier transform on images and filters the high frequency components out.
(I believe many lossy image compression algorithms use an equivalent
technique. E.g. JPEG.)