Old March 26th 18, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

Default Mechanical vario stuck on 5 kts up

At 09:39 26 March 2018, wrote:
Happened to my Winter 57mm vario.
Removed the vario with the intention to ship it for repair (opening it is
best left to experts, the risk of total damage is relevant).

tapped the vario on the table, glass facing down. Gently. It now works
perfectly. Maybe service can wait. Maybe I just didn't know what I was
doing...

Aldo Cernezzi

These varios depend on a vane moving in a chamber to measure the air flow.
The clearances are very tight so the slightest interference can cause it to
stick.

Maybe the tapping was enough to dislodge some tiny obstruction.

Maybe with the cheapness and simplicity of digital pressure sensors it is
time to consider going totally electronic, at least for varios.

Chris