Old August 15th 17, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Temporarily operating a German registered glider in the US

At 02:55 15 August 2017, wrote:
2017 and looking to do the same, (Temp import of a G reg glider)
From what I can see, almost zero hassle (bar trailer wiring and having

drive on the wrong side of the road :-) )
Possibly moving to Louisiana but will almost certainly be flying out of
Houston.

Just posted this to resurrect the thread.

I have imported a number of gliders from Europe and dislike having to
wring out the trailer wiring on the docks upon pick-up - as the weather
is invariably bad, and I don't want to spend the whole day there doing
that. I made up a pig-tail adapter which goes from the USA vehicle
"flat 4" connection to the old standard Euro 7 pin connector. In the
middle of the pig-tail I have one of these converters that make the
brake and signal lights function properly on a 4 wire system:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...rt/C56196.html
With this pig-tail, one can just hook up the trailer on the dock and drive

it away. This kind of set-up should work for you, especially if you
intend to take the glider back home and not sell it in the USA. You
won't have to do anything to the trailer wiring itself.
Good luck..
RO