Old November 13th 04, 04:02 PM
Bill Daniels

"Dick" wrote in message
om...
Nosegear failed during taxi and had a wooden prop strike on pavement.

prop
is toast but wondering about the old C-85. consensus is leaning towards
everything okay if no vibration and tracks true upon startup of new,
balanced prop.

comments appreciated, Dick

I'll strongly support the consensus views here.

I had a prop strike on an Archer (Ex-wife screwed up a landing) The engine
didn't stop but about two inches of each prop tip were bent.

I hassled the insurance company into paying for a teardown in which I
participated. The mechanicals were OK but the shock had dislodged tiny bits
of sandcast flash that were in the oil galleys. It took a month of careful
cleaning to remove this stuff.

I was less than happy that Lycoming hadn't cleaned up the case casting but
thankful that the teardown found the problem.

Bill Daniels