Old May 26th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Got to fly a light sport aircraft

Could be, but it is interesting that the "sport" version does not include
the clutch. I'm still wondering how/why.
John Severyn @KLVK

"Morgans" wrote in message
It is just a slipping clutch, that allows the engine to come up through
starting RPM's, before it engages, then stays locked throughout the
operating range of RPM's. The starting RPM's produce a torsional
resonance that would shake the engine, gearbox and clutch, so badly that
it could likely destroy something in the drive train. Allowing the prop
to not be connected while the revs come up avoids the deadly resonance
range, so the drive system can run normally, when it is above the bad RPM
range.

I think that in this case, it is not unlike (but still very different)
than the clutch on some automobile's cooling fan, as I recall. Once
again, I may be totally wrong on all of this.
--
Jim in NC